BetterDisplay is a truly wonderful tool! It lets you convert your displays to fully scalable screens, allows brightness control, provides XDR/HDR upscaling (extra brightness beyond 100% on compatible displays), full dimming to black, helps you create and manage virtual displays (dummies) for your Mac, create Picture in Picture windows of your displays and gives you a host of other features to manage your display’s settings easily from the menu bar.
- Convert your internal and natively connected external displays to smoothly-scaled HiDPI displays on Apple Silicon – now even without mirroring a dummy (displays with notch, HDR,
- HDCP, high refresh rate fully supported)! (Pro)
- Reach the full brightness potential of your XDR or HDR display! (Pro)
- Change the display’s brightness, volume and colors via software and hardware (DDC) control via sliders and native or custom keyboard shortcuts!
- Create custom HiDPI resolutions for real displays manually and redefine certain system display parameters!
- Create any number of dummies (virtual screens) with varying aspect ratios.
- Use headless Macs (servers) with any resolution and HiDPI mode for remote access.
- Create Picture in Picture window for any real or dummy displays. (Pro)
- Redirect your display’s contents (real or dummy) to an other screen via streaming. (Pro)
- If you are using a big TV up close, use the bottom half of your TV as a wide screen display (off-center streaming). (Pro)
- Scale Sidecar resolutions. (Pro)
- Portrait SideCar support. (Pro)
- Better quality zooming (System Preferences»Accessibility»Zoom) or High Quality screenshots even on 1080p displays
- Easily change the resolution of your real and dummy displays via a slider (or submenu) from the menubar.
- Quickly accessible refresh rate and screen rotation menu.
- Simplify creating mirrored sets. (Pro)
- Easily move around displays relative to each other using the app menu.
- Quickly designate a display to be main display.
- Associate dummies with displays for auto connect/disconnect.
- Keyboard shortcuts for basic operations.
- Advanced keyboard shortcuts support. (Pro)
- Custom dummies (resolution, orientation, naming). (Pro)
- Create a dummy optimized for a real display. (Pro)
- Made resolution modes that are not visible with default settings more reachable via additional Set Resolution or Refresh Rate menu options
- Added feature to quickly swap identical displays
- Improved BetterDisplay behavior on removing eGPU (avoid stuff that interferes with the process)
- Added keyboard shortcut to quickly swap identical displays
- Added a bit more explanation + opens app menu when app icon clicked again while the app is running.
- Added an option to force-override resolution of mirrored displays
- Progressively hide resolution slider icon when a special resolution marker overlaps during tracking
- Added the ability to add/remove favorites from the resolution slider when special resolution markers are enabled
- Fixed: Seemingly Duplicate Resolutions In Set Resolution Menu by default on Intel
- Fixed: Resolution slider contains same resolution for multiple bit-depths on Intel (this also causes duplication in special resolution markers in v1.4.5)
- Fixed: Slider snapping does not work properly (flickers) for displays with limited resolution options in v1.4.5
- Fixed: Resolution slider markers and snapping is confused when slider set to magnifier style in v1.4.5